“This world is the place to make friendships.
It is in the next that we shall really enjoy them”
Edward King (1829-1910), Bishop of Lincoln between 1885 until his death, was a leading light in the developments in Anglican thought and self-understanding that transformed the life and worship of the Church of England in the second half of the nineteenth century. As a student at Oxford in the 1840′s, King came under the influence of the leaders of the Oxford Movement, and took Holy Orders in 1854. He quickly earned a reputation for remarkable pastoral sensitivity and skill. Bishop Samuel Wilberforce of Oxford soon asked King to be chaplain at the new theological college opposite the gates of his palace at Cuddesdon, and in 1863 he became its Principal. Wilberforce and King both realised that to be effective ministers of the Gospel, young men needed to be properly trained and formed before ordination, and King later founded St Stephen’s House in Oxford for the same purpose. In 1873 Queen Victoria appointed King to the post of Regius Professor of Moral and Pastoral Theology at Oxford and in 1885 she named him Bishop of Lincoln. King’s obvious holiness of life, coupled with care for his clergy and zeal for his people, won him the respect and love of the diocese. That affection endures today, over a hundred years after his death.